The AKC CGC (Canine Good Citizen) Test is an evaluation of the basic skills that every dog should know. The focus of the Canine Good Citizen Program is to foster responsible dog ownership. This class will help you succeed with your dog in attaining that goal! The CGC title is now required by many therapy dog groups and some apartments and condos are requiring their renters/owners to have GCG titles on their dogs. Likewise the AKC Community Canine testing level is about responsible dog ownership and having a well-behaved dog in the community. As the top level in the CGC Program, this will test the dog’s skills in a natural setting, that is, in your community! Below are a few of the things you will learn in this class.
Test items include Canine Community Dog test includes,
- Accepting a friendly stranger * Dog waits under control
- Sitting politely for petting * Walking on loose leash
- Appearance and grooming * Dealing with other dogs and crowds of people
- Out for a walk * Sit-stay in small group
- Walking through a crowd * Dog allow people to pet
- Sit and down on command * Down-stay at a distance
- Coming when called * Come when called
- Reaction to another dog and more
- Reaction to distractions
- Supervised separation
Each week we’ll practice particular tests from the Canine Good Citizen and CGCA evaluation. As we progress; we’ll revisit the previously learned exercises and showcase new ones. Before you know it, you’ll have practiced all 10 exercises and be ready for the AKC Evaluations.
Reservations are required. Class is $20 per class or four sessions for $60. AKC evaluation is $20 for each dog.
Phone: 602-861-9256 office or 602-679-1955 cell